>> Friday, April 30, 2010
It is a chunky stew of beef in red wine.
1. Brown the meat (3-4 lbs of boneless beef stew meat cut into cubes). Turn often to brown all sides.
2. Transfer the pieces to the casserole.
3. Skim the fat, leave a spoonful and add 2 cups of slices onions, 2/3 cup of sliced carrots. Toss and stir to brown for 3-4 minutes.
4. Pour one cup of beef stock into the frying pan, swishing and scraping up any juices. Transfer the vegetables from the pan into the casserole with beef. Add 3 large unpeeled cloves of garlic (smashed). Add 4 cups of red wine (Zinfandel or other young red wine). Add 2 cups of tomatoes (1 cup of whole unpeeled tomato, cored and chopped, and 1 cup of Italian canned drained plum tomatoes). Add 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp thyme and salt to taste. The liquid should almost cover the beef.
5. Bring to simmer on the stove top.
6. Stew in the oven 325F for 2.5 - 3 hrs
7. Pour the contents of the casserole into a colander set over a saucepan. Wash out the casserole. Return beef in it.
8. Season the liquid in sauce pan if it needs any more seasoning. You should have about 3 cups. Boil rapidly. Remove from heat.
9. You can add Beurre-manie sauce in it the liquid. (Recipe to follow in the next post)
10. Serve over pasta, rice, or small boiled potatoes.
Wine: Zinfandel, Beaujolais, Macon.